Survival: A day in the life of a human


Copy Editor and photographer for The Journal, Eva Connors, followed a pack of humans and recorded how they survived the zombie acopalypse.

EVA CONNORS / The Journal Senior Philip Hayes, who remained a human, keeps an eye out for zombies in front of the Sverdrup Building on Thursday, April 14.

10:10 a.m.: The day starts with about 40 zombies and twice as many humans. Paige Walden, sophomore dance major, is out early, hunting zombies. She spots a group of three zombies, one wearing a sun hat with streamers and two with escorts. She calls her friend Mikee Badd, sophomore dance major, for back up.

10:28 a.m.: First zombie encounter at Big Bend and Plymouth. Walden and Badd find the three zombies Walden saw. They stun all three. Then they take the card from the hat and head to the Quad to turn it in to a moderator.

10:32 a.m.: The moderator tells them the card is a fake. The zombie hunt is back on.

10:44 a.m.: Walden and Badd head to the parking garage, looking for the real zombie with the hat.

10:57 a.m.: Still no sign of the zombie with the hat. Philip Hayes, senior music and computer double major, joins the expedition.

11:07 a.m.: Second zombie encounter on the Quad. The three zombies from the first encounter rush the team of four, and all are stunned again.

11:16 a.m.: Walden leaves for class. The rest head to the Priest house on a rescue mission – a human is stuck in class with three zombies.

11:25 a.m.: The team safely rescues Marcus Johnson, freshman dance major. They walk towards Webster Hall and he leaves the group. Tom Frisch, sophomore audio production major, Gianni Vasconez, senior psychology major and Tyler Jensen, sophomore music education major, meet with Badd and Hayes to continue the hunt.

11:38 a.m.: The group searches plants in front of Webster Hall for special items.

EVA CONNORS/ The Journal Senior psychology major, Gianni Vasconez, Tony Burgesen, sophomore advertising major and Mikee Badd, a sophomore dance major, close in on zombie Daved Koppelmann, a sophomore math major.

11:42 a.m.: Third zombie encounter in front of Sverdrup. The group tries to stun the lone zombie. Two minutes later, they successfully hit him between Sverdrup and Emerson Library.

11:52 a.m: Fourth zombie encounter to the left of the WVA. The zombies are the same team of decoys from the first encounter. Nathan Golomski, junior audio production major, assists in stunning the zombies. He then goes on his way.

12:10 p.m.: There’s less than an hour left in the mission. The humans are getting anxious. They head back to the parking garage to do another sweep for zombies.

12:18 p.m.: From the top of the parking garage, the humans see three zombies cornering a lone human. They run down the stairs to assist him.

12:20 p.m.: After sophomore film major Tony Burgesen is saved, he joins the group. Still no sign of the hat-wearing zombie.

12:41 p.m.: Fifth zombie encounter in the Thompson Music Building parking lot. A group of 10 zombies ambush the humans. The humans barely avoid getting killed and stun all of the zombies.

12:52 a.m.: There’s just eight minutes until the end of the mission. The humans head back to the Quad. The hat-wearing zombie was never caught. The zombies win a new weapon.

Share this post

+ posts


Comments are closed.