Gorloks shut down Beavers to open conference play

Sophomore midfielder Taylor Overstreet celebrates after scoring his second career collegiate goal. Which gave Webster a 3-0 lead against lackburn College on Wednesday Oct. 3rd at St. Louis Soccer Park. PHOTO BY AVA ROESSLEIN.

The Webster University men’s soccer team began its St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletics Conference schedule strong as the Gorloks defeated the Blackburn College Beavers 4-0 at St. Louis Soccer Park on Wednesday, Oct. 3.

After a first half goal by junior midfielder Carlos Espinosa in the 16th minute, the Gorloks put the pressure on in the second half.

Webster was able to score three goals coming out of halftime. This includes a goal by sophomore defender Justin Peters, who scored his first goal of the season. Sophomore midfielder Taylor Overstreet scored his second career goal as a Gorlok. The goal came on a ball in the box that was kicked out wide to Overstreet on far post. The 5-foot-6-inch tall Overstreet knocked it in with his head.

The final goal was scored with 10 minutes left in the contest when sophomore midfielder Mike Wells put the ball in the back of the net. Sophomore goaltender Brian Woodward closed the goal on another shutout — his third of the season.

Overstreet said despite the Gorloks’ wide-margin win, the Beavers still worked hard and put up a good fight.

But Webster shut the door and did not allow them any momentum swing in Blackburn’s favor. The Beavers only attempted three shots for the duration of the game.

“Today we played a little bit better than we have before, a lot of movement off the ball,” Overstreet said. “It’s a great way to start off our conference play, and definitely opening up on the second half (of the season).”

The Gorloks will continue their conference play on Friday, Oct. 5 at 3 p.m. at Soccer Park when they face off against Spalding University (Ky.). With the victory over Blackburn, Webster moves to 5-4-1 on the season and 1-0 in conference play.

Share this post

+ posts