Blue Jays halt Webster’s conference winning streak


Overtime games can end in a win, loss or draw for a team. The Webster University men’s soccer team ended its game on the wrong end of the decision on Tuesday, Oct. 9.

Webster fell to St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference rival Westminster College (Mo.) 1-0 in the first overtime period on the road. The Blue Jays scored seven minutes into overtime, handing the Gorloks their first conference loss of the season.

“It was a tough extra time,” sophomore defender Jeff Wallner said. “Both teams had significant chances. For the most part it was fairly evenly matched.”

Sophomore defender Jeff Wallner (No. 18) fights for the ball against Spalding University midfielder Colin Peters on Friday, Oct. 5 at St. Louis Soccer Park. After a scoreless first half, Webster scored three second-half goals to seal a 3-0 victory over the Golden Eagles. PHOTO BY VICTORIA CASWELL.

Webster had a scoring chance with a player wide open in front of the net, but missed. Westminster also had an opportunity earlier in the game, but hit the post.

The Blue Jays came into the game seeking revenge on the Gorloks. Just last season, Webster knocked them out of SLIAC semifinals.

The Gorloks didn’t go down in their most recent game without a fight, though.

In the middle of the first half, one of the Gorloks’ key offensive players was taken out of the game. Senior striker Clint Carder was issued a red card. Carder and Westminster player Adam Ross exchanged words. As Carder walked away, Ross pushed Carder to the ground.

The referee then gave both of them red cards.

The call didn’t help Webster in this conference duel, since Carder leads the team with five goals. Additionally, Carder played a huge part in the 3-0 win over Spalding University  (Ky.) on Friday, Oct. 5 at St. Louis Soccer Park. He scored on a penalty kick, which, at the time, gave the Gorloks a 1-0 lead four minutes into the second half.

Despite losing an impact player, the Webster defense continued to battle.  The previous three games, the Gorloks did not allow a goal.

“We’ve just really come together and shown that chemistry that we had last year,” Wallner said. “We’ve really solidified that backfield. It’s not just been the defense, it’s been the entire team working together and frustrating the opponent.”

Frustrating the opposition was what Webster did best throughout the first 96 minutes of the game, but Westminster was able to score on a goal by Jacob Appelbaum to send Webster home empty-handed.

“We just couldn’t find the back of the net,” associate head coach Michael Siener said. “Unfortunately we drive home with a loss, but we’ll just have to keep getting better and try to win the rest of them (conference games).”

The  Gorloks were able to win their opening two conference matchups against Blackburn College and Spalding. Webster came away with 4-0 and 3-0 victories in those games, respectively. Sophomore goalie Brian Woodward continues to shine, as he’s given up only one goal given up in the past three contests.

Webster will look to bounce back against Eureka College in Eureka, Ill. on Saturday, Oct. 13th at 3 p.m.

The loss to Westminster drops Webster’s overall record to 6-5-1 on the season, and moves its record in conference play to 2-1. The Gorloks currently sit in fifth place in the conference.

Share this post

+ posts