An interactive view of Webster University's campus.
Webster hosts annual Student Leadership Award Ceremony
Webster University students received recognition for their leadership and involvement Sunday.
Nearly 170 students and guests attended the twenty-third Annual Student Leadership Awards Ceremony held in the Grant Gymnasium April 17. Student Affairs and the Student Government Association (SGA) sponsored the ceremony.
Many awards given to student groups and individuals were presented by alumni and former award recipients. Webster President Elizabeth Stroble presented The George Herbert Walker III Award for Leadership to students Gaby Deimeke and Rosie Jones. The award is given to a graduating senior who demonstrated the most significant combination of academic achievement and leadership during his or her student years at Webster University.
Deimeke, a photography major, and Jones, a women and gender studies and philosophy double major, will split the award and the $2200 scholarship that goes along with it.
Webster Provost Julian Schuster presented Hailey Kaufman the Capstone Award for Leadership, which indicates high achievements in the following areas: cumulative GPA of 3.5 or greater, significant extracurricular involvement, multi-departmental/organizational involvement, community service, and a positive role model.
Individual students received the following:
- Devin Spencer: Global Citizen Award
- Olivia Heibeck and Jeannie Liataud: Campus Life Award
- Hafsa Mansoor: Campus Voice Award
- Ben Shull: Outstanding Leadership of a Student Organization
- Anna Gaffney: Outstanding Contributions to SGA
- Juan Salas: Jacqueline Grennan Wexler Award for Humanitarianism & Servant Leadership
- Michelle Kimbrel: Mark Govoni Emerging Leader Award
Alumni Association Student Leadership Awards were given to undergraduate Sophie Ozier and graduate Debhuti Roy. SGA Outstanding Student Awards were given to freshman Alyssa Johnson, sophomore Kirby Weber, and junior Cameron White.
Making a Difference Awards were presented to Andrea Murphy, Briana Lawson, C. Wiley, Hezekiah McCaskill, Jenni Toppi, Nikki Griffin, Shane Jenne, and Sierra Hancock.
Student organizations received the following:
- Audio Engineering Society: Student Organization of the Year
- International Student Association: Outstanding Contributions to Cultural Awareness:
- Japanese Student Association: Outstanding Contributions to Campus Social Life
- Webster Self Defense Club: Outstanding New Student Organization
A Webster University press release states that 14 students received the WebsterLEADS Leadership Certificate and medallion which they will wear at commencement.