October 22, 2018

Grease fire in Webster Village Apartments, resident says

photo

Students wait outside WVA Building Four after a grease fire occurred in the property. Photo by Sheren Khalel.

A grease fire occurred in the Webster Village Apartments (WVA) at 10:10 p.m. Saturday night, according to an account from a WVA resident. The Webster Groves Fire Department responded to the emergency.

“As far as I know, there was a grease fire ­— a small one,” said sophomore resident Isabella Espinoza. “They were cooking popcorn. It just got really smoky.”

The Department of Public Safety declined to comment about the fire. Residents were escorted back into WVA Building Four after firefighters had inspected the building.

In 2012, an electrical fire started on the second floor of Maria Hall, according to the Webster University Clery Report. In 2011, a kitchen fire occurred in WVA Building Four. In 2010, a microwave caught fire on the second floor of Maria Hall.

Share this post

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail